Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Than a Crutch

"Christianity is a crutch," the man said.  Actually, he wanted no part of any religion, because to be religious implied that he was personally inadequate, somehow incomplete in and of himself.  At least, that was his rationale for being dismissive about the subject.

There is in each of us something inherently independent.  We could say that it is our culture which breeds this in us.  After all, we Americans have our roots in pioneerism.  We have always celebrated the lone hero, the completely capable person who is, at his core, an overcomer.

Or it could be that the hurts of life teach us to keep our distance from others, to wear the mask of confidence even when, inside, we are screaming for connection, for acceptance, for human love.  Our bold exterior becomes a shell which separates us even as it seems to protect us, even while our hearts shrivel in the aloneness.  In our souls we hurl stones at the ones we fear the most, even as we long for communion with them, with someone.  Could it be the pain we have experienced at the hands of others is the cause of the independence that keeps us far from the things of God?  Perhaps.

I think rather that it is something more innate, something that is part of the package with which we are born.  It comes with being human.  Call it pride, call it self-sufficiency, call it independence; the Bible calls it sin.  Not sin simply as something we do which is wrong; but sin as an operative principle at the center of our being.  St. Paul observed, "I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members" (Romans 7:23).  There is within each of us a deep antagonism to the one who made us, an unwillingness to come under His authority.  We want all His benefits, but none of His rule.

Kris Lundegaard suggests that our essential nature toward God mirrors that of Melville's Captain Ahab toward the White Whale: "He doesn't blink to forfeit his ship and every life it carries, if only he can heave his harpoon into that terrible eye" (The Enemy Within P&R Publishing: 1998, p. 43).  This is hard for us to swallow, but I think Lundgaard is right.  There is more that is broken about us than a crutch would suggest.  "Christianity is a crutch."  I think not.  I think it is more like a wheelchair.  Or a litter.  Actually, what we need is an overhaul, starting at the innermost part of us.  We need a resurrection of the heart.

 "Christianity is a crutch."  My answer is, "You don't know the half of it."

How far removed is such a perspective from that of the Puritan who penned this prayer:

"O Lord of Grace,
The world is before me this day, and I am weak and fearful, but I look to thee for strength;
If I venture forth alone I stumble and fall, but on the beloved's arms I am firm as the eternal hills;
If left to the treachery of my heart I shall shame thy name, but if enlightened, guided, upheld by thy Spirit, I shall bring thee glory.
Be thou my arm to support, my strength to stand, my light to see, my feet to run, my shield to protect, my sword to repel, my sun to warm.
To enrich me will not diminish thy fullness;
All thy lovingkindness is in thy Son,
I bring him to thee in the arms of faith,
I urge his saving name as the one who died for me.
Accept his worthiness for my unworthiness,
            His sinlessness for my transgressions,
            His purity for my uncleanness,
            His sincerity for my guile,
            His truth for my deceits,
            His meekness for my pride,
            His constancy for my backslidings,
            His love for my enmity,
            His fullness for my emptiness,
            His faithfulness for my treachery,
            His obedience for my lawlessness,
            His glory for my shame,
            His devotedness for my waywardness,
            His holy life for my unchaste ways,
            His righteousness for my dead works,
            His death for my life."

This is Christianity!  So much more than a crutch.

2 comments:

I welcome your comments!