Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Life-Transforming Invitation



I distinctly remember New Year’s Eve, 1974. As the dawn of a new year approached I sat with my 2-inch-thick New American Standard Bible, avidly reading from the prophet, Malachi, and from the book of Revelation. I was finishing up my first reading of the entire Bible in a year, and I admit I was a few days behind schedule. But I was determined to finish “on time.”
One year before, as a new Air Force second lieutenant, an older Christian did me the huge favor of sharing with me a one-year Bible reading program. In the months before that, God had done a great job of breaking down my independence, showing me my need of meeting with Jesus daily through time in His word and prayer. As a result, my friend's invitation found me willing to take on the challenge of reading through the entirety of the Bible.
Now, as I finished up the plan, I recall a certain sense of having “achieved” something great. But I also remember fondly the sense of peace and growing intimacy with God that attended those sweet, closing moments of 1974. As the New Year rang in, it brought with it a taste for the word of God that has never subsided. I had indeed “tasted” and seen that the Lord is good! 
Most years since then, I have continued the practice of reading through the Bible annually. How many times? I don’t really know; I’ve lost count. I know there were a couple of years I did something different. But it’s truly not about achievement any longer; that notion went away a long time ago. Now it’s just a desire to know Him, to learn to think like Him, to build into my brain and heart the truths that will strengthen me to live for Him in a broken world. I’ve learned I need this “soul-food” more than anything else. So this New Year’s Eve, as God permits, I will be reading Malachi 3 and Revelation 22 again. And on January 1st, I look forward to savoring the opening chapters of Genesis and Matthew new and afresh.
I would like to invite you to read through the Bible with me this year! 
You can use whatever plan you like (there are lots), but I’d recommend the app for your phone or tablet, called YouVersion. It’s a wonderful Bible app, and has a number of Bible reading plans that will help you stay on track. The one I’ve been using is called The One Year Bible. It’s published in the New Living Translation, a very good contemporary translation, but you can choose your own preferred translation each day. There are dozens of translations available through the app.
If you’re interested, just drop me a note, and I will begin praying for your perseverance, and that the Lord will meet you in wonderful ways as you seek Him each day.  Additionally, as you return here, you can read my personal commentary on things God is showing me from my own reading.
Here's a link to the app:
https://www.youversion.com/apps

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!